This page contains creative journal writing prompts for students. Super Teacher Worksheets also has thousands of writing worksheets and printable activities.
- Imagine you had a hundred dollars, but you couldn't keep it. You had to give it away to a person or charity. Who would you give it to? What would you want them to do with it?
- Describe one time when you were brave.
- If you could cook any meal for your family, what would you cook? Describe the meal and tell how you would make it.
- Imagine you woke up and saw a dinosaur in your backyard. Write a story telling what you see and do.
- Imagine you opened your own restaurant. Tell the name of your restaurant. Explain what the restaurant looks like, who works there, and what you serve.
- Describe your favorite character from a book, a movie, or television.
- Write a story titled, "My Journey on a Pirate Ship." You and your friends can star in the story.
- If you could have any animal for a pet, what would it be? Describe the pet and how you would take care of it.
- Do you have any brothers or sisters? If you do, tell what they're like. If not, tell whether or not you would like to have a brother or sister.
- If you could have lunch with any famous person who would it be? What would you talk about with this person?
- Write a story titled, "The Bat Who Couldn't Fly."
- Imagine you were a wonderful painter and your parents would let you paint anything you wanted on your bedroom walls. What would you paint? Use lots of details to describe your artwork.
- Describe the oldest person you know.
- Describe the youngest person you know.
- Do you think a monkey would make a good pet? Explain why or why not.
- How old were you four years ago? Describe some things you can do now that you could not do then.
- Imagine you worked at a football stadium. What would your job be? (examples: quarterback, cheerleader, coach, referee, ticket seller) Describe what you would do while you were on the job.
- What do you like best about your home?
- If you could be on any game show, what would it be? Describe what happens when you're on the show.
- Describe your favorite season (fall, spring, summer, or winter). Tell what kinds of things you like to do during that season.
- Write a story titled, "The Baby Dragon."
- Describe several ways a person your age can earn money.
- Would you want to visit the moon? Why or why not?
- If you could spend an afternoon with one member of your extended family, who would it be? Tell why you chose this person and tell what you do together.
- Which superpower would you most like to have-- invisibility, super strength, or the ability to fly? Describe what kinds of things you would do with your powers.
- Think of a time when you've won something. Tell what you won and how you won it.
- Invent a new kind of sandwich. Describe what is on it and how you would make it.
- Describe one thing you're really good at.
- Imagine you were twenty feet tall. Describe what life would be like.
- If you were a doctor, what kind of doctor would you be? (examples: children's doctor, veterinarian, eye doctor, dentist) Tell what your job would be like.
See Also:Writing Prompts
This page has printable writing prompt worksheets.Persuasive Writing Prompts
Check out our collection of persuasive writing topics.Writing Story Pictures
Write a creative stories to describe what's happening in these pictures.