Fruit snacks, or gummies, are an easy and delicious grab-and-go snack for your family’s fun summer activities. In our July blog post, check out a simple recipe for healthy homemade fruit snacks your kids will love. Keep reading to find out more.
If you can buy fruit snacks at the store, why bother making them at home? We’re glad you asked! Like so many sweet and savory snack foods kids love, homemade gummies beat store-bought varieties with superior ingredients that yield a tastier and more wholesome treat. Here are a few common ingredients found in one popular gummy bear brand:
Corn Syrup, Artificial and Natural Flavors, Yellow 5, Red 40, Blue 1…
Yikes! We’re not sure where the Yellow 5 grows, but fortunately, you won’t need any in this recipe for healthy homemade gummies. We opted for all-natural ingredients, including one superfood that has lots of good things to offer growing kiddos: organic, grass-fed gelatin.
Gelatin is the main ingredient in gummies, homemade or otherwise, as it helps them firm up and take shape. The quality of your gelatin is important, and we recommend using organic, grass-fed gelatin for your fruit snacks. Here are some benefits of gelatin for kids’ growing bodies (as well as for everyone else!):
That’s a lot of goodness packed into little gummies!
Now, let’s get started.
Healthy Homemade Gummies Recipe
You will need:
1. Place the silicone gummy mold on a baking sheet and set aside.
2. Combine fruit juice, lemon or lime juice, and honey in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
3. Whisk in gelatin one tablespoon at a time and continue to stir until all ingredients are well-combined and gelatin is dissolved.
4. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer and then turn off the heat.
5. Use a dropper to transfer the mixture from the saucepan to the gummy mold. Place the mold in the refrigerator or freezer to set.
6. Once the gummies have set, remove them from the mold and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week, if they last that long.😉 Enjoy!
Here are a few recipe notes to ensure delicious fruit snacks for your family:
We hope you enjoy making these tasty, wholesome fruit snacks with your kiddos this summer!
Let us know what you think of the recipe by leaving a comment below.
Visit the Super Teacher Worksheets Summer Collection to find lots more fun, educational activities to keep kids busy and learning all summer long.You may also like: